I am taking a hiatus from blogging. The posts I now add will be unedited and unpolished, please forgive me. I am using this platform as a storage place for interesting things. I am currently focusing on editing wikipedia articles on contemporary art instead. I encourage you to do the same and to follow still very active blogs like hyperallergic, c-monster, bldgblog, and more. thanks you.

Truck Stop

-Keith Edmier is an absolutely fascinating artist. See his work here at Friedrich Petzel Gallery. See a video of Walla Walla Foundry making Cycas Orogeny here. The process basically entails casting basalt which is lava... if Walla Walla Foundry is not kick ass, I do not know what is.
-The Contingent Object of Contemporary Art by Martha Buskirk. If you read this book and find it enthralling, you should be surrounded by art daily. If you read this and find it obsessive over the smallest of peculiarities embedded in contemporary art, you are normal.
-Sculpture Today by Judith Collins. Should be treated like Denzel Washington treats the last bible.
-Art City (2002) offers an interesting look into the art world today. While emphasizing the common complaints of how damn hard it is to be an artist, just like every art documentary does, the 3 disc series has more than just, "I am a starving artist my life is hard" mentality.
-Manufactured Landscapes (2007) A documentary about Edward Burtynsky is worth watching if you love Burtynsky, and only if. Dull lecture footage spliced with some uninteresting travel footage infringing on the incredible segments that lead to accounts of amazing photography.
-12 (2007) see it. just do it. The only 2hr and 40min movie I have seen that I watched again that week. A complete remake of the classic 12 angry men.
-And this Art History poster that all artists should find hilarious here

-Getting to see IMA make it to New York Times was great, too bad we lost the super bowl bet against New Orleans Museum of Art. Read about it at Modern Art Notes here
-Watch out curators of NYC New York Times
-Richard McCoy's interview with Jorge Otero-Pailos. Very interesting. Jorge Otero-Pailos
-Most innovative sculptures I have seen in some time Here
-Why I went to the Guggenheim... It wasn't the Kandisky exhbition, although that was good too... Anish Kapoor's Memory The film does Memory no honor, it was built for the Guggy in NYC and Berlin, and must be seen at one of those locations.
-Fecal Face NYC Cai Guo-Qiang. Kieth Edmier + Cai Guo-Qiang=Pompeii like exhibition?
-Heather Rowe's new piece at the IMA, opens Feb 19. See her here.
-What I study at work, Mobius Ship (2006) by Tim Hawkinson, who is represented by Ace Gallery. Mobius Ship is on display at the Indianapolis Art Museum. Check out Hawkinson's fingernail bird here
-Doris Salcedo at White Cube. Proof that more than cocaine comes out of Columbia.
-Tyler Cufley's Dumpster is his best work, but it is really really damn good.
-Kim Foster Gallery. Ant colony casts?! Painting with mushroom spores? Jim Toia and Cai Guo-Qiang need to meet. Leaving art up to chance always intrigues me, but never sustains me...

No comments:

Post a Comment