I am taking a hiatus from blogging. The posts I now add will be unedited and unpolished, please forgive me. I am using this platform as a storage place for interesting things. I am currently focusing on editing wikipedia articles on contemporary art instead. I encourage you to do the same and to follow still very active blogs like hyperallergic, c-monster, bldgblog, and more. thanks you.

Radiant Child/Genius Child Basquiat

Just watched this fantastic documentary about Jean-Michel Basquiat. Really worth a watch, and by the way, it is on instant play on netflix. more here

The movie opens with a poem by Langston Hughes that I felt was well suited for this documentary. Its really interesting and a little horrifying how many amazing artists are crazy drug addicts who die early.

This is a song for the genius child.
Sing it softly, for the song is wild.
Sing it softly as ever you can -
Lest the song get out of hand.

Nobody loves a genius child.
Can you love an eagle,
Tame or wild?
Can you love an eagle,
Wild or tame?
Can you love a monster
Of frightening name?

Nobody loves a genius child.
Kill him - and let his soul run wild.

No comments:

Post a Comment