I am taking a hiatus from blogging. The posts I now add will be unedited and unpolished, please forgive me. I am using this platform as a storage place for interesting things. I am currently focusing on editing wikipedia articles on contemporary art instead. I encourage you to do the same and to follow still very active blogs like hyperallergic, c-monster, bldgblog, and more. thanks you.

Photo taken from Mars. more at NASA's photo a day, here

Eva and Franco Mattes interview on Art21. here.
They have been doing online performances reenacting works by Marina Abramovic and Chris Burden, chat roulette piece where Franco made it appear that he was hanging dead in front of the screen, or their most recently unveiled work which has gotten lots of buzz, Stolen Pieces, which is bits and pieces of famous works of art that they stole over time.
This work is incorporating new technology, and I am impressed by anyone willing to do that. Yet all their pieces ring hollow to me, they merit one quick reaction and then not much else. The Stolen Pieces piece pissed me off at first, so I suppose it gave me a stronger emotion than most art, yet at what expense? Their work, except for the Nike piece in which they convinced a town through guerrilla advertising that Nike was planning to buy a whole street, besides this hilarious piece their overall body of work reads as childish boredom. Art can be a great critique, or give great insight into the world, this work makes you scoff or chuckle and move on. Proof that doing something new doesn't necessarily bring it merit.

James Acord, the only private individual in the world to hold a license to handle nuclear material, he makes them into sculptures....!!! here

Breaking the Rules, by Susan Goldman Rubin is a new book published by MOCA about contemporary art for children. I wish I had this book, article here, buy it here

No comments:

Post a Comment